This recipe doesn’t need much description, you simply need to try it.
A family recipe, my mom got this dip recipe from her aunt and made it frequently growing up. It’s practically a balanced meal (beans for protein and do you see all those tomatoes and green onions – packed with vegetables!) but really shines at any get-together with some fresh tortilla chips. One of the first times I was invited to one of Cameron’s family functions when we were dating, I brought the dip and I’m fairly certain it what they loved most about me that day 😉 That was six years ago and when we invited everyone over to our place this weekend the first text we got back read “Is Jena gonna make that dip?”. It’s delicious and ridiculously simple – just make sure to make a small extra dish for yourself if you want any hope of leftovers. Enjoy!
- 1 can bean dip
- 2 or 3 large avocados - the more ripe, the better!
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup miracle whip or mayo
- 1 package taco seasoning
- ~ 1 - 2 cups cheddar cheese
- ~ 1 - 2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 1 bunch green onions
- 3 or 4 roma tomatoes
- 3 small cans sliced olives
- Mash the avocado and add a bit of lemon juice to the mixture. You just want to add enough to keep the avocado from turning brown but not enough to impart any taste. Set this mixture aside.
- Mix sour cream, miracle whip, and taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Spread bean dip in bottom of 13x9 pan. Layer avocado next, followed by sour cream mixture, and the cheeses. You are looking to get a thin, but complete, layer of each cheese in the dish. Next add the tomatoes, olives, and green onions.
- Serve with fresh tortilla chips.