In Chrissy Teigen’s cookbook, Cravings, many of the pages are dogeared or slightly stained. Some are crusty and wrinkled – the result of spilled upon and set out to dry – while others have long since been committed to memory after making the recipe so many times. The page that features Sweet and Salty Coconut Rice is all of the above. It’s a clearly well-loved recipe that comes together in a snap and is absolutely impossible to mess up. It may not be the healthiest side dish in the world but I’m fully convinced that a side of this goodness with a side of Brussel sprouts equals a well-balanced plate. If I’m wrong, don’t you dare tell me.
The way Chrissy describes this bowl of pure happiness is beautifully ridiculous and perfectly accurate:
There are a million foods I love. But I can EVENTUALLY get full off fried chicken. I can EVENTUALLY fill up on mac and cheese. But I for real cannot stop myself from eating this until every grain of rice in the immediate vicinity has been consumed. My plate, other plates, sides of the pot it was cooked in. Did any fall on the floor? This is now mine. Someone get up to go to the bathroom? Your rice is now mine. Too engaged in conversation to watch your plate? Mine.
This rice is the ideal balance of sweet and savory and will make you a hit come dinner time. Enjoy!
Sweet and Salty Coconut Rice
Write a review
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 oz) can coconut milk (full-fat, not light)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- In a dry skillet, toast the coconut over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly browned and fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, coconut milk, 1 3/4 cups water (1 empty coconut milk can full!), sugar, and salt and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to a barely bubbling simmer, cover, and simmer until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a work, re-cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the toasted coconut.
Mr & Mrs Miller http://mrandmrsmiller.com/